Ruminations from Raleigh Court

Monday, January 30, 2006

Random Thoughts from the Weekend..

On my way back from my office this afternoon, I had some random thoughts that I felt like writing down a la Larry Fricking King:

  • Driving past the Roanoke Civic Center, the marquee notes that the next two concerts are Nickelback and George Thurgood. If this does not say everything that needs to be said about the state of music in this area, I don't know what does.
  • Good games by Taylor Twellman, Clint Dempsey and Todd Dunivant for the US National Team in their destruction of Norway on Sunday. All three gave themselves a shot for Germany, with Twellman and Dempsey looking particularly good for the 23.
  • Props to the Hokies on a gutsy first ACC win over Wake Forest on the road without their two best inside players. It made me proud to be a Hokie, something that we've not had for a few weeks because of the Marcus Vick fiasco and the resulting media bashing from Wilbon and other tools.
  • Johnny on the OC is SO DEAD. ...that character was going nowhere, anyway. Oh, and Ryan needs to drop Marissa stat. She's gotten past annoying into the category of ridiculous.
  • Like my old school pal ChrisLarry, I am a big fan of the shuffle feature on the IPod. There are some days that the mix synchs together perfectly, like the best shows you ever did on college radio. The five songs I heard today in a row from campus were Black and White Town by Doves (mysterious and melodic ala the Smiths), Eye Know by De La Soul (still on my top five hip hop records of all time), Nightclub Jitters by the Mats, 16 Military Wives by the Decembrists and The Transaction by Sea and Cake. A little bit of alright on a Monday in the Valley.
  • I hate Super Bowl hype. There was an argument on ESPN about whether or not the Steelers should have gotten to Detroit a day earlier. Everyone knows they have better strip clubs in Pittsburgh, why would the players want to leave that?
  • Loving the new show Hustle on AMC...a weekly fix of the Ocean's Eleven/Italian Job grifting crew style. Not really digging, however, the new CBS Series Love Monkey. The guy from Ed is supposed to be a record exec at an indie label, yet he seems to have an affinity for crap music. It does have Jason Priestley which does give it a few bonus points.
  • I am going TIVO crazy tonight so that I have plenty of backup for Tuesday...in case you did not know, it is State of the Union address time. Watching Bush speak causes me to wish I was watching Webster or Full House.
  • I like the Colbert Report better right now than the Daily Show. There, I said it. Colbert is just right on target at the moment.
  • I am teaching a course with 47 students at a supposed liberal arts college. Aren't I supposed to get a class with 12 coeds sitting attentively around a seminar table, eager to learn and contribute after a few sips of port and bites on shortbread? That was my vision of liberal arts education, anyway.
  • Saw the Matador. Good flick, worth catching. I have a big crush on Hope Davis.
Have a good day, all.

3 Comments:

  • Yo welcome to the blog world! I would figure that the Love Monkey character is pretty acurate if he is a A&R guy with crappy taste, although I am not argueing that it is crap.

    By the way if you encounter any memeber os the The Pope family of Roanoke (one daughter at Tech, dad is HS BB coach in town) they are my people!

    Chris Larry

    Thanks for te shout out by the way!

    By Blogger Chris Larry, at 4:59 AM  

  • I was searching Raleigh Ct, Roanoke and came to your blog. I just wonder if Raleigh Court is where you are and if it is a nice place to live. We are considering a relocation and everything I have read so far has said it is very nice. Your thoughts?

    P.S. my huz is a HUGE hokies fan, he used to live in Roanoke (long before me)

    Thnks in advance

    By Blogger mhutchinson, at 3:44 PM  

  • I was searching Raleigh Ct, Roanoke and came to your blog. I just wonder if Raleigh Court is where you are and if it is a nice place to live. We are considering a relocation and everything I have read so far has said it is very nice. Your thoughts?

    P.S. my huz is a HUGE hokies fan, he used to live in Roanoke (long before me)

    Thnks in advance

    By Blogger mhutchinson, at 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home